This is a pleasant village situated in open farmland midway between Woodbridge and Orford with easy access to both the coast and the countryside. It is famous for Butley Wood which in Springtime is filled with a wealth of daffodils followed in early May by a carpet of bluebells. The wood was part of the lands belonging to Butley Priory founded in 1171 and the first king to visit is recorded as Henry III in 1235. Mary Tudor, sister to Henry VIII, was a frequent visitor. Sadly, in 1538 the priory with all its land was surrendered to King Henry VIII and was sold in 1544 for £910 2s 2d.
As with most old villages there is a mix of architecture with old and modern blending happily together. The church is a fair distance from the main part of the village and it has been suggested that this was due to the devastation caused by the plague in the middle ages. There is no longer a school in the village however it does have a pub! The Oyster Inn dates back over four hundred years and has recently had a total refurbishment. Alongside the excellent bar and dining room, very old barns have been converted into a village shop, a small cinema and games room and also a micro brewery. Very popular music nights are a regular feature, a reminder of the times when folk singing was so popular that the pub produced its very own CD.
Other community events are held in the village hall which has also recently been totally refurbished. The Village Hall Committee arrange an annual Flower Show and Fete which is one of the few in the country to have been running continuously since before the war. The competitive spirit locally produces a fine display of fruit, vegetables and flowers plus, of course, jams, pickles and cakes. Lots of fun activities take place on the large green behind the hall. Details are posted on the website once plans are finalised.
The village has a newsletter which is published and distributed to all residents within the parishes of Butley, Capel St Andrew, Wantisden and also Chillesford. The editors are Councillors Caroline Read from Butley and Jean Dean from Capel St Andrew.